Pediatric Cardiology Community
Pediatric Cardiology

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

Pediatric Cardiology

Hi, I have a 16 year old son that is very athletic.  He may have Marfan's & we had his heart checked.  His Aortic Root was 3.1.   The echo says his left ventricle is borderline dilated; the mitral valve leaflets appear thickened but open well; there is mild mitral valve prolapse; the tricuspid valve leaflets are thickened &/or calcified, but open well; there is mild tricuspid regurgitation; there is a mild amount of pulmonic regurgitation..

Each of these things alone are small.  My question is that with all these things going on at the same time, am I wrong to worry about him playing sports?  One ped. cardiologist dismissed my concern without looking at the report & by doing one in his office.  He told me there was nothing before he even looked.  He still hasn't read the echo.  So we are getting a second opinion.  In the meantime, I'm going crazy wondering what all these things mean together.

Thanks,
Jimmie
I would seek a second opinion. Marfan's has some outward signs to it and if your son doesn't have those signs, that may be why the doctor isn't giving it much thought. I don't understand why this doctor is dismissing you BEFORE seeing the echo results. Until I got a second evaluation, I wouldn't allow him to be in sports. If he does in fact, have marfan's, and then is in sports, he could have a sudden death event. (although the percentages of that are rare)  
He does have the outward appearance of Marfan's.  He's what his doctor called "the classic Marfan's" look.  6'5", 150 lbs; he's got an expander for his teeth to make room for the crowding teeth; he's got the bird chest that curves out.  

As for the doctor, he was terribly arrogant.  We talked to him before he examined my son & he told me he is the epitome of good health.  WITHOUT LOOKING AT ANYTHING!!  He did do a echo & told me the EKG was abnormal & there were some issues with his heart but nothing to be concerned about.  My son's primary care was very concerned with echo results.  But he didn't know if we might be dealing with athlete's heart or possibly HCM.  The athlete's heart thing I might agree with if my son was more active.  He's been kicking around the soccer ball everyday but he doesn't do any intensive training which would contribute to athlete's heart.   Soccer season doesn't start until August.  So I just can't see the athlete's heart being the issue.  I would love it if it was but I just can't see it.
You NEED to get into a second doctor! There are some prime differences between Athelet's Heart and HCM. (My daughter suffered from a severe form of HCM) In HCM only certain walls of the heart thicken; in the athletic heart ALL of the walls thicken. That is one prime way for a doctor to tell the difference in the two problems. Is it possible for you to take your son to a University Hospital, to a pediatric cardioogy clinic there? They tend to see more rare heart problems in children and for that reason are more capable of dealing with those problems. If your son has HCM, your son has a problem and you need the truth so that you can deal with the issues at hand. Your son should also have a Holter done to check and see if he has electrical problems i the heart as well and maybe an EP Study done to look at the electrical systems of the heart. Take care and keep us posted.