Pediatric Cardiology Community
coronary shunt

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

coronary shunt

My daughter had a murmur diagnosed by chance during a routine dr. visit at age 11.  we were referred to a cardio and tests showed "squishy valve".  no restrictions, follow up at age 14.  we just followed up and were told "coronary shunt" with "pulmonary involvement" .  no idea what that means.  told to follow up test in one year, no restrictions.  Saw another dr. to get a physical form for sports, and she refused to sign off, saying cardiac involvement needed to be -re-evaluated.  Going to see another dr. next week, my daugher is flipping out about missing sports, and soccer starts next week.  Should I worry?  I thought this was nothing, but now I am not so sure.
If a pediatric cardiologist has allowed her the benefits of no restrictions, listen to him and get the clearence frrom the cardiologist. There are some REAL downsides to restricting children and teens, especially teens, that parents do not realize and pediatric cardiologists do not like to restrict kids unless it is life threatening to not do so. Talk to your daughter's cardiologist.
thanks! I still don't really get it, but talked to him again, he signed off the sports form, said -NO RESTRICTIONS- just to be sure she has a yearly echo to watch for changes and not to worry.  so i won't.
One thing that you do want to do is to at least give him a call, or better yet, go back and see him (just yourself) and sit down and have him explain, and draw out a picture of what her diagnosis is so that you fully understand what is going on. If you have the drawing it will also help you to remember what he told you six months down the road.