Pediatric Cardiology Community
possible enlarged heart in 2 year old

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

possible enlarged heart in 2 year old

Hello! My son is two years old! He has multiple health problems with no diagnoses. These include low muscle tone, developmental delays, sinus problems and so forth! I recently had a x-ray done on his chest to rule out pneumonia for a cough when I was told his heart appeared large on the x-ray and when compaired with his past x-rays it did infact look much larger! I set up an appointment with a pediatric cardiologist I understand that waiting is all I can do but I got to know....What if this is true? What does that mean? I am going crazy with what ifs and would appreciate it if someone would shoot me straight on the matter! NEED INFO!
The first thing you have to understand is that an enlarged heart on x-ray in a small child happens quite often. Small children have a hard time understanding the phrase: Okay, take a deep breath and hold it. Especially if they have a bad cold or pneumonia. If the child isn't angled just right for the x-ray, that can also make the heart appear enlarged. Usually if there is true enlargement, the EKG will show elevated QRS Complexes. Has your son had an EKG? Echos are the way to go if you really are questioning a heart problem. Those are the first steps. Hopefully your son is one that didn't hold his breath the right way. Enlarged hearts really aren't something you want to have your child being diagnosed with.
Well we had an EKG scheduled in Oct because he has a pectis or inverted chest and we just wanted to make sure it was not causing any problems for his heart! His sleep study and all the other test went fine though so the EKG wasn't a big rush rush thing! Now that the x-ray showed what it did I am not sure if the cardiologist will want to to the EKG or just go straight for the echo! I hope its the echo! From what I understand those are alot more accurate! I might seem like I am freaking out and i probably am, but what you haveto understand is my son hasn't been healthy since birth! It is so hard watching not only your child suffer, but not knowing what is causing the problem or if it is life threatening! About every three months we get another blow and find out something else is wrong! Its devistating! Thanks for your help!