Pediatric Cardiology Community
sternum healing??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Pediatric Cardiology.

sternum healing??

My granddaughter, age 6 had open heart surgery 5 1/2 weeks ago to repair ASD and mitral valve. 48 hours after the first surgery they had to take her back due to blood and fluid buildup.  They had to reopen the incision to do this.  She is doing great today.  Her incision looks great, but her sternum is "bowed" out.  She says it is not tender to touch, it is not red or bruised.  Is this just swelling from surgery? At her 2 week post surgery checkup no one seem to be alarmed, but now it seems it sticks out even more.  Can the sternum not heal flat?
It's more than likely due to her overall size and the fact she now has metal clips to keep the sternum together. My daughter had open heart surgery for WPW at about that same age with the same results. I don't think this is anything to be concerned about especially in light that the doctor didn't see anything wrong when he examined her. Glad to hear she is doing so well now!
My granddaughter has had two open heart surgeries and her sternum his bowed in, but it does not cause her pain, I believe my daughter says it is because at her age (now 18 mos) that it is still soft like cartilage and not like bone.  Not sure if this is still the case with your granddaughter's age but it may be something you could look up?  Glad she is doing well and hope it continues for her!!
hi Betts, how's your grandson doing? Just to let you know: cartiledge changes to bone around two years of age, so that wouldn't be the case in the first post. Hope you are well and welcome back to the site! :)
My granddaughter is small..just 43 pounds.  Hoping now that her little heart is repaired she will gain some weight.  She has another follow up echo in a couple months, we'll see what it looks like then.  Thanks for the well wishes.
Hi There,
My now 7 year old had open heart surgery when he was 3 1/2 months and his little chest is the opposite is sinks in... they said it was due to the surgery.. but I just want to let you know that he was 8 pounds at birth and weighs only 45 pounds.. he turned 7 in Nov.. he is tiny for his age, but he is "thriving" meaning maintaining his weight.. we also feel that he formed a "habit" from such a young age.. it took so much for him to eat and only took a little at a time. that if he were to finish his whole hot dog yes with bread then it would be a blessing.. he eats very tiny portions. so this may be one reason he is still tiny..
glad to hear he is doing well and good luck to you all
michelle