Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
24 Weeks Preggo.. Possible Arrhythmia

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

24 Weeks Preggo.. Possible Arrhythmia

So.. last week I had an appointment with my DR they listened to the heartbeat with the doppler and she said that she thinks she may have heard an arrhythmia and that she wants to check it again in a fews just to be sure because the baby was moving a lot.. a few hours later she checked it again and said everything was fine, the heartbeat was strong and going about at 140 per min she just believes it was because of all the moving and not to worry.

Well I had a 3D ultrasound today (not at all affiliated with my DRs office) and they listened to the heartbeat the tech had asked Where I was being seen at and if the anatomy if the baby looked good. I said yes.. But it made me wonder why she asked that.. While listening to the heartbeat it did sound like it was skipping a beat but she mentioned nothing about that.. I called my doctors office today and told them the situation and they understood my concerns and to call monday to see if I can schedule an appointment with my DR just to ease my mind. The nurse on the phone didnt seem too worried because she said they had kept up will my ultrasounds up to this point and everything looked normal.. BUT STILL..

I'm worried and I would hope this isnt anything too serious.. if this was something serious wouldnt they have caught it at the last ultrasound where they checked the entire anatomy of the baby?

Thanks Again!
Dear Stephy,

I don't know the exact nature of the arrhythmias that were noted, so I can't say for sure.  However, during the second trimester, it is quite common for isolated or single early beats (premature atrial contractions and premature ventricular contractions) to occur.  They typically resolve by third trimester, or by deliver; rarely they persist after birth.  We don't usually worry about these very much.  We do get concerned about sustained abnormal heart rates, such as those greater than 200-220, or so.  Unfortunately, anatomy checks do not identify arrhythmias; they only identify structural anomalies, and that's only in experienced providers.  The things that we would look for would be evidence of these much higher rates, such as poor ventricular function or severely structurally abnormal cardiac anatomy.  I will say that there is a difference between a targeted anomaly scan (sometimes referred to as a Level II scan) that looks at the whole body and a fetal echocardiogram (Level III), which is much more concentrated on the entire anatomy, function, and blood flow of the heart and its surrounding vascular structures.  From what you describe, you likely had the former and not the latter.