Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
3 mm Perimembranous VSD

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

3 mm Perimembranous VSD

My son is 8 months old and is being monitored by a cardiologist.  I left a message with their office the other day, but I haven't heard back from them.

His VSD was 3-4 mm in size, but at his last appointment in April we were told that it's now just 3 mm. The cardiologist has told us that his VSD will most likely NOT completely close, but will probably get smaller and be of no concern.

Our son never had symptoms (sweating, rapid breathing, etc.), all his tests are good (ekg, pressures, etc.) and he is thriving beautifuly. However just 2-3 weeks after his appointment in April he has started sweating when he's nursing.

It happens 1-2 times a day and only when he nurses for an extended time period (i.e. he doesn't sweat for the little meals or snacks, just the big ones). When he gets breast milk from a bottle, no matter the amount, he does not sweat.

I just want to know if this is normal/ok or does it warrant another visit with the cardiologist (or maybe the pediatrician who can contact the card. on our behalf)?

Tags: VSD, Sweating
It sounds like your child is doing quite well overall.  It would be highly unlikely for a small 3 mm perimembranous VSD to cause cardiac symptoms for the first time in an 8 month old child, especially when he had no issues in the first fiew months of life, when it is the most likely to occur.  The fact that he has no issues with bottle feeding suggests that there is not a cardiac problem.  If you are concerned, you can have your child examined by his pediatrician first, and if there are any further questions, the cardiologist can be contacted by that office.