Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
4mm VSD in a 12 year old

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

4mm VSD in a 12 year old

Our 12 year old had open heart surgery to repair a ASD when he was 3 years old.  At the time he also had a pin hole VSD.  This was not repaired.    We went in for his 9 year appointment and they said he has a 4mm VSD at the bottom of the chambers.   He is not real active in sports only because of the middle school he goes to is a Arts base school and they have dance rather then PE.    Our Cardiologist  says this is something we don't need to fix and that he may never have a problem with it.   But he also said that since he is not doing sports it is hard to judge whether or not it is having a effect on him.   He is 5 foot 3 and only weighs 84 pounds.   Could this be having a effect of his growth?   Is this something we should fix while he is still young?   I would like a second thought
  • heart condition (5 replies):
    Hi , My daughter who is 7 had a murmur in the heart sinc...[more]
  • VSD & Hole (2 replies):
    As per the X-Ray & 2 D Echo report she is suffering from...[more]
  • Shunt pressures (5 replies):
    My 15 month old has a 5-6 mm membranous vsd with tricusp...[more]
  • enlarged heart (1 replies):
    I am 39 weeks pregnant and had an ultrasound done becaus...[more]
  • ASD (3 replies):
    My 2 year old has 2 tiny asd holes. The options I see ar...[more]
If the VSD is only 4 mm in size, is in the muscular wall far from the heart valves, and your doctor feels that your son's heart examination and testing show no evidence of elevated pressure in the lungs or heart chamber enlargement (which is unlikely), then no indication for a surgical intervention exists. I would not be able to attribute your child's weight to this.