Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Blue Mask around nose and mouth

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Blue Mask around nose and mouth
My Son Hudson is a healthy three year old. Since he was born he has had a blueish purple colored mask around his nose and mouth. His pediatrician heard a heart murmor. We sent him to Vanderbuilt and every seemed normal.They said it would go away. It has been two and a half years. It still blue, His lips are pretty and pink and his nose area and around his mouth looks brusied. They said it was premature nervous system around his mouth. I just want a better explanation of why it has not gone away. The doctors do not really know how to explain what is going on.
Help
Dear Navy Wife,

First, thank you and your husband for your service to our country.  Being former Air Force myself, I am quite aware of the importance of what you do.

The blueness around your son's mouth is not necessarily due to vasomotor instability, which is the common reason that we see this coloring come and go in infants and toddlers.  The skin above and around the lips is somewhat thin,which means that you can see the blood vessels beneath the surface much more clearly.  This is still a normal finding and, unless there are actually abnormal oxygen saturations, does not indicate a cardiac problem.