Chest pains around heart area - teenager
I'm a 16 year old female, and over the last 2 weeks I've been experiencing mild chest pains on my left side.  At first, it was a mild ache where my heart is, and would subside in an hour or so.  Then I felt some pain around the side of my chest, under my breast and around to my back, which would be worse if I breathed in deeply.  Now I have recently been experiencing stabbing/pinching pains (hard to describe exactly) in my heart area which come and go with no apparent reason.  I am not in a lot of pain but it is causing me discomfort and I am wondering if there is anything to worry about.  I have been to my doctors today, and he tested my blood pressure which was OK and listened to my heart/lungs/back etc.  He doesn't seem to know what is causing it, which is why I'm asking on here.  I am otherwise healthy and have no family history of heart problems.
Dear Dragon,

Obviously, without examining you, I can’t say for sure what the cause of your chest pain is.  However, it is quite likely that your chest pain is due to a musculoskeletal cause.  We do see chest wall pain quite frequently in teenagers, but the history can vary, so it’s important to make sure that a good history is obtained.  Briefly, sharp pain in adolescents is common, is only a nuisance, and needs no medications.  It is often brief, worse with inspiration, and not severe.  The bottom line here, though, is that often knowing that this is not a heart attack is reassuring enough that the pain can be ignored till it disappears.