Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Murmur heard in my 7 months old niece

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Murmur heard in my 7 months old niece

My niece was diagnosed with murmur soon after she was born and the doctor recommended to get ECG done. The Cardio specialist told that it is innocent murmur and there is nothing to worry. Now she is 7 months old and during our visit to the doctor today , he says that he hear the murmur again. The murmur was not found during our visits in during the last 6 months. I am really worried. Her birth weight was 3 Kgs (6.6 Pounds) and now she weighs 6.4 Kgs (14.4 Pounds). Our reason for this visit was to see why she was not putting weight. She eats well and she had some stomach infection last week and had dysentry. The doctor had asked us to get blood, urine and stool test to be done.
I am worried. Is there anything wrong with her heart?Please help!
Unfortunately I cannot advise you about your niece's heart given this limited amount of information. Most heart murmurs in children are, in fact, innocent in nature.  This means that there are no structural abnornmalities of the heart that are present from birth.  Innocent murmurs can come and go during the growing years, and can be heard intermittently.  On the other hand, approximately 1% of babies are born with a congenital heart problem, but there are only a few types that cause failure to thrive.  An electrocardiogram (ECG) in the newborn period would not be able to evaluate all types of heart problems.  If you live in a region where dysentery is present, then your niece's failure to thrive could be due to many problems, only one of which would be a congenital heart defect.  If the family is concerned, then ask the primary doctor to refer her to a pediatric heart specialist, or get further cardiac testing.