Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Muscular Ventricular Septal Defect 1.5MM

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

My wife and I were recently informed by her OB that our 32 week boy showed a M VSD measuring 1.5mm. Naturally we are scared and thinking worse case scenario.

What should we expect?
Dear Mike,

A ventricular septal defect (VSD) is a hole in the wall between the two ventricles, the two pumping chambers of the heart.  It is one of the most common congenital cardiac defects that we see.  A defect of 1.5 mm is not particularly large, although your son’s heart is not big at this point, either, so it is difficult to tell how big the defect is in comparison to the rest of his heart.  Over time, the defect should get smaller, and may even close.  The biggest concern is if the defect is relatively large or even moderate-sized in comparison to his heart.  Your son may have some aspect of congestive heart failure.  This may be able to be managed by medications while he grows and tries to close the defect.  Or, he may need to undergo surgical repair of the defect.  However, if the defect is small, then it should cause essentially no problems.

At this point, I would recommend that you be evaluated by a pediatric cardiologist who is familiar with performing fetal echocardiography, a cardiac ultrasound of your son’s heart in utero.  That way, all of the anatomy can be defined and you can get a more complete answer.  And, you can get connected with a pediatric cardiologist who can follow your son after he is born, and be able to tell you more about his prognosis.