Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
Pediatric ECG analysis

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Pediatric ECG analysis

My 9 year old son had an ECG after having had rapid heart rate of 136-142 range for about 36 hours. We were sent for an ECK and were told to follow up with a cardiologist. The reading shows:

Vent Rate 89 bpm
PR interval 120 ms
QRS duration 84 ms
QT/QTc 366/445ms
P-R-T axes -12  -25  12
Normal sinus rhythm
Left axix deviation
Borderline Prolonged QT

After doing some reading on various sites I was hoping to have some clarifying information on what these numbers mean..
Thank You!
Tags: ECG
Dear Gilbert,

Without evaluating your son, I cannot put these results in proper context.  However, I can say that the vent rate is the heart rate.  He is in a normal sinus rhythm, which means that the electrical signal is arising from the natural pacemaker of the heart.  The electrical axis of the heart is shifted leftward.  This can occur due to several reasons.  The most common reason is that the ECG leads are applied incorrectly.  However, it can also be truly abnormal, which means that there may be a structural cardiac defect associated with this.  Finally, the borderline prolonged QT is due to the computer noticing that the QTc is 0.445, which is on the edge of prolonged.  That said, what you are giving me is a computerized reading of the study.  The tracing needs to be interpreted by someone who knows how to do this.  This includes manually measuring the QTc interval to see if it is truly as long as the computer thinks that it is.

In the end, especially if there truly is left axis deviation and the ECG leads were applied correctly, your son should see a pediatric cardiologist for further evaluation.