hearrt valve diease
I was just told my 17yr old son has MVP ,pulmonic leakage, and tricusbics leakage. He has a very irregular heart beat since 12 but was told since he was showing no symtoms not to worry. About 2 mths he start having fatiuge dizziness,blackouts and some chest discomfort so I took him in for a check up and this is when we found out about the things mentioned above. Should I be overly concern and is it common to have all three things?
Dear Mott,

Mitral valve prolapse occurs when the mitral valve sags backwards as it closes.  It can be trivial, mild, moderate, or severe.  And, it can have associated mitral valve regurgitation (leakage), or not.  The pulmonic and tricuspid valves typically have trivial or mild leakage, which is benign.  Without evaluating your son, I cannot say how severe these are.  If they are trivial or mild, they are most likely not associated with your son's problems.  Overall, it would be most helpful for him to make sure that he is drinking adequate fluid and having adequate salt intake.  If this is not sufficient to resolve his symptoms, he should return to his cardiologist for consideration of medical therapy.