Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
heart issues in 14 year old

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

heart issues in 14 year old

my son had vsd surgery at age three..has been followed by cardio since..last visit gave us changes...we were told my son had dilated aortic root, significant murmur,enlarged heart...not real clear if murmur is new or risidual murmur from patches..is there reason to be concerned...my son has been very tired recently and had pale gray color..says he has son chest pain occasionally..these symptoms are from past two weeks
Dear Mom,

Aortic root dilation has been described in certain congenital cardiac defects.  It is felt to be an abnormality of the levels of certain enzymes in the tissue that makes up the aorta.  Without further evaluating him, I cannot say what his murmur, fatigue, color, chest pain, and reported heart enlargement is due to.  There are many potential reasons for this that are too numerous to list here.  Therefore, my recommendation is that you discuss this further with your cardiologist and make sure that you have answers to your questions.  If you do not feel that you are getting the answers to your questions, it is reasonable to obtain a second opinion.