Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
kids ekg

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

kids ekg

My 12yr old was having chest pains so they ran a EKG. The report read anterseotal st elevation possible early repolarization inferior and anterior t wave change are border line abnormal for age/sex. Please explain
and should we look in to this more?
Dear Kiki,

Without seeing the study, it's difficult for me to say exactly what needs to be done for your child's ECG.  I can tell you that the computer that reads the ECG is frequently inaccurate, and therefore should be interpreted by a human.  As well, it is more likely to be accurately interpreted by a pediatric cardiologist for a 12 year old than either a general pediatrician or an adult cardiologist.  Therefore, I would look to see who performs these interpretations where you live, and then have your pediatrician put the results in the context of the history and examination for the chest pain.  The good news is that the large majority of chest pain in children is not related to the heart.  And, the majority of that chest pain is benign, as well.