Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
love

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

love

i have implanted a pace maker i am 17 years old . i want to know if i remove my pace maker can i spend my life and can i  get marry with a pace maker
Tags: pacemaker
Dear Rohanrocy,
I am a little unclear as to what you are asking me and why you are asking it.  A pacemaker was implanted in you for an important medical reason.  In other words, a cardiologist felt that you required it to help keep you alive.  I do not know what that reason was, however.  So, based on the little information that you have given me, it seems that you are less likely to be alive if you have your pacemaker removed, either in the short- or long-term, and therefore are less likely to be able to survive to get married without it.

Conversely, if you have a pacemaker for a medical reason that is helping you, it is certainly possible for you not only to get married but also to have a reasonable lifespan.  This depends on if you have any underlying structural cardiac defects, though, and also depends on whether you get adequate cardiology follow-up.  Finally, this depends on the knowledge that pacemakers typically last 5-10 years, depending on use, which means that you will have to have it replaced on a routine basis throughout your life.  My recommendation at this point is for you to speak with your cardiologist and truly understand why you have a pacemaker in place, so that you can be better informed as to what your long-term medical needs are.