Pediatric Heart Expert Forum
one year old mouth and lips turned blue while eating

Questions in this forum are answered by pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons and anesthesiologists from The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. This forum is for questions and support about pediatric heart problems, symptoms and topics such as heart murmurs, palpitations, fainting, chest pain, congenital heart defects (including management and intervention), fetal cardiology, adult congenital cardiology, arrhythmias and pre-participation athletic screening.

Our daycare provider told us yesterday as we arrived that our daughter who is a twin, turned blueish/purplish around the mouth and lips yesterday while eating baby food.  They checked her heart-rate and breathing which all seemed to be fine they said and she continued playing afterward.  Our twins were premature (29 weeks) but have been doing extremely well and now are happy and healthy otherwise from this isolated episode.  My question is, is this episode something to be extremely concerned about?  With so much out there on the internet you hear everything from rush her in the ER now, etc.  We were told her feet were a little cold and as soon as they started rubbing her mouth/lips the color went back to normal.  It didnt happen again yesterday that we know of and again today everything seems to have been ok as well so far.  She does sometimes turn purple/blue in the face after a bath or while crying but not while eating like that?  I have scheduled a ped appt but am curious to any feedback here as we just moved and are very nervous with this and in the meantime dont have family or friends as support.  Thanks alot.  
Tags: cyanosis
Dear Bobby,

I cannot say exactly what is going on with your daughter without evaluating her and getting more of a history.  However, I can say that it is common for infants and some toddlers to have transient blueness around their lips and mouth that resolves.  Typically we see it when they are in the bathtub, when they are awakening from a nap, or when they are eating.  It is probably some immaturity of the autonomic nervous system, the part of the nervous system that controls the heart rate and blood vessel diameter, etc.  It usually resolve by age 1 1/2 to 2 years.  However, it would be good to make sure that she has a normal history and examination, so do keep your appointment.