Pediatrics Community
Addison's Disease and Behavior
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Addison's Disease and Behavior

My 13 year old son was diagnosed with Addison's Disease and Hypothyroid two years ago this May.  He is currently taking .05mg Levothyroxine; .1mg Fludrocortisone (2x per day); and .5 mg Dexamethasone (1/2 tablet 2x per day).  Since his diagnosis, his grades have declined, he seems depressed, easily agitated and has had minor but frequent discipline problems at school.  We had him evaluated by his pediatrician and a psychologist for ADHD/ADD and they both concluded he does not have that.  Lately, he has had very angry outbursts and his pediatrician thinks he may be bipolar.  We have an appt. with a child/adolescent psychiatrist next week.  His pediatric endocrinologist does not think there is any correlation with Addison's disease, his medications and the changes in behavior that have occurred.  Also, his school has not been very accepting/accommodating of his condition.  I am concerned that he may get a false-positive diagnosis of bipolar disorder when I think that maybe the Dexamethasone may be the problem.  Again, his ped. endo insists that since his levels are all normal on his current medications, it is not the problem.  My questions are:  (1) Can emotional stress have any effects on a child with Addison's Disease?  I know physical stress can.  (2) Have other experienced this type of behavior change after diagnosis of A D?  (3) Any helpful questions I can ask the psychiatrist when we go for our initial visit?
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Pediatrics Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank