Pediatrics Community
Concerned mother

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Concerned mother

My 8 year old son was hospitalized for possible appendicitis.  They told us that his appendix was slightly inflamed at the tip and it was not located where it "normally" is.  His is down and back farther and hooked around his intestines.  They kept him for one day in the hospital and ran blood work to check his white blood cell count twice, which came back within the normal range.  They said since he was not presenting appendicitis symptoms. such as vomiting, fever, and severe abdominal pain, they were not going to remove his appendix.  I am wanting to know how normal is it for the appendix to be in this location and hooked around the intestines, should we be concerned that this will cause other health problems, and should they have sent him home or should they have went ahead with the surgery and removed the appendix?