Pediatrics Community
Curiosity about the REAL truth of "washing" under the foreski...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Curiosity about the REAL truth of "washing" under the foreskin.

Is it such a big deal that I've never washed under my foreskin in my 18 years of my life?

I'm 18 years old and never in my life have I ever washed under my foreskin. Heck, I've hardly ever fully retracted my foreskin in my 18 years of my life and when I get on Yahoo! answers for the health section, nearly 80% of the answers say that it's bad that I never wash under it yet just about 2 months ago, I pulled my foreskin back, retracting it for the very first time in my life(by lubricating the tip of my foreskin with lotion) and I do not see any smegma on the head of my penis.

Neither my parents(who are from Mexico, where circumcision is very uncommon) or even my sex ed classes have ever taught me about the foreskin and how it's suppose to fully retract and be "clean" under the foreskin. After reading these answers from yahoo, I tried to pull my foreskin back to see if I can "clean" under the foreskin and I feel a burning irritation on the head of my penis from attempted to clean under the penis. People on a yahoo answers and a lot of other forums often tell me how it's so bad that I never wash under my foreskin because I'm likely to have smegma under it yet I just recently pulled my foreskin inside out and I don't see any smegma or white stuffs under it. It looks normal but I don't know so I figured it's best to ask a real doctor here on this forum to see if he/she can give me the best solution to my issues rather than wasting my time on Yahoo! Answers by jumping to the conclusions that I should be circumcised. Also, I've felt that the people who've given me answers on Yahoo! sounded a little condescending because I'm not circumcised like the majority of the males in the US.

BTW, my father was never circumcised in his 49 years of his life and he never had any infections or problems nor has he ever transmitted any diseases to my mother. I obviously shower everyday and I always wash my genitals when I shower but again, I've never went under the foreskin to wash it. I've only washed the outside of it like a finger. Does it mean that my uncircumcised penis is "infected"?
It is advisable to wash under your foreskin, in the shower or bath, even if it won't retract.Neglected accumulations under the foreskin, not the presence of a foreskin itself, are a risk factor for penile cancer. There should be no burning sensation. Avoid any but the mildest of soaps.