Pediatrics Community
Help! Toddler will not let sore heal!
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Help! Toddler will not let sore heal!

My son who is 3 years old got a sore on the back of his heel from scraping it a while ago.  It has now been about 2 months, and it just will not heal because he keeps scratching it until it bleeds.  I've been putting bandaids and antibiotics on it with a sock over it all.  However, at nighttime when he's in his bed unsupervised, that's when he will scratch at it and take the bandaid and sock off, and then we are back at square one.  

It's almost healed several times already, but at some point, he always manages to scratch it up again.  We've even tried those footy pajamas, but he just unzips them and takes everything off (which actually is worse because then he usually takes the diaper off too!).  I don't know what to do.  I really wouldn't want to put mitts on his hands at night or anything like that, but I just want this to heal and not get an infection.  Does anyone have any ideas?