Pediatrics Community
fever and swollen knee in 1 year old baby

This patient support community is for discussions relating to allergies, behavior, developmental disorders, immunizations and vaccines, puberty, and any other pediatric health issues including brain, bone, heart, lungs, gastrointestinal and urological in adolescents, infants, newborns, and toddlers.

My baby is almost one year old now (10 days away) and has been in an unexplained fever for a few days. We have been using nuprofen to control it but it's in and out. Aside from being perfectly happy, she's just suffering from one swollen knee that is hindering her movement. She experienced pain the first day she got it, but it doesn't seem to be experiencing any pain when touching it or even pressing on it anymore (the swelling is still there for a few days now it's not going), but she seems to be crawling differently on it as if "limping". Only other thing is her apetite is quite low.

Two Doctors are not really aware what this is, which is worrying us greatly. What could this be?
If your baby's doc isnt sure about what the problem could be, I would get a 2nd opinion and/or ask for a reference to a specialist. Some autoimmune diseases can present this way and those are nothing to take lightly. Of course, it could be an injury to the knee, and the fever and low appetite may not be related. Since she is so young, I would be diligent in finding out what is going on. Hope she feels better.

MM