Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Community
Surgery? Trying to decide if I can "live with it"

WELCOME TO THE PELVIC ORGAN PROLAPSE (POP) COMMUNITY. This forum welcomes all discussions about female, pelvic organ prolapse.

Hi, I am a 33 year old mom of three.  I had 2 C-sections and one Vback.  All three where huge babies 9lb - 10lbs.  Since the last birth 3 years ago I have had stress incontinence but within the last year I feel as if I am sitting on an apple. The perineum is solid and bulging by the end of the day and the vaginal walls feel as if I have been riding a bicycle without a seat.  I have been to a urologist and 2 gyns.  They each came up with something different.  Is this normal.  One sent me to a PT, which did little and suggested I find another doctor.  It turns out I have vaginal prolapse Stage 1-2.  Cervix is about 2 to 4 cm from opening.  A mild rectocele and and a moderate cystocele.  My most recent evaluation recommended a partial hysterectomy and a bladder sling.  Another said to keep doing my kegels which I do throughout the day, and to try not to lift anything for 6 mo to see if there was improvement.   I would love to have surgery but am nervous about further problems down the road.  Is surgery PANDORA's box.  Will it just lead to other surgeries?  I can't see having to go in every ten years but I am miserable right now.  I want to be able to run again and not have stabbing pains on my right side.  Or to be able to go on bike rides and not feel as if my vagina internally chaffed and raw.  Or to be able to cough or sneeze without grinding my pelvis into a chair so that everything does do bouncing around. And yoga,,, forget about it. Can't do that in public anymore. Its hard to feel "sexy" when all you worry about is the odor and whether your husband is going to run into one of my many bulges sending me into quivering pain.  

Anybody have surgery in their 30's.  If so what were your outcomes?
I am very sorry you have had so many problems.  
You need to see a Urogynecologist for an assessment of all prolapses.  As uncomfortable as you are, you do have time to be assessed by a Urogyne and maybe another second opinion as well and look at what you want to do.  
Have you considered a pessary to buy you more time as well, or even use longer term.  There are several types to choose from.  Look on the internet to see what you think.

There are many ladies in their 30s who have had successful operations on prolapses yes.  I am now 52 and have 5 different prolapses and an intussusception of my bowel and am using a pessary until I make my mind up about an operation.  

Kegels done correctly are very important whether you have an operation or not, so keep going with this.  Running is not a good exercise to do if you are prone to prolapse but you could be able to go bike riding and walking etc and many do yoga to help with prolapse problems as well so you may be able to go back to this as well when you have more support in the vaginal area and/or an operation.  

Be prepared to find out more info about your codition and see a Urogyne or 2 in order to make a decision you are happy with in terms of operation or not and what type.  It is upsetting to find out you have prolapse and can be a shock.  I felt the same.  Even though you are not happy with the opinions you have had already you will have learned more about your condition as you have gone along.  

I hope this helps.  Come back if you want to ask any other questions and get more support.