Constant Urinary tract infections after radiation therapy
I am 53 yrs old, I had prostectomy surgery in 2006, followed up with external beam radiation therapy in 2007. Three months after surgery I had no urinary problems...but after radiation therapy I am having continuous Urinary Infections. Treatment is usually 500mg of Cipro, followed by months of Macrobid 100mg.  I start to feel better, urine flow is always weak, but steady....then within a few weeks, the burning starts again, there is thick mucuous in my urine and then I dribble and finally am unable to pee.  Each  doctor starts the process all over again.  This is continually happening...any ideas as to why it keeps reacurring. The last doctor told me the bacteria causing the problem is normally found in low levels in all of us, unfortunately my body can not keep that bacterial level down to normal parameters. What did the radiation do to cause this effect in me?  

One of the problems with recurrent urinary tract infections involves obstruction. The more stasis there is - the more likely would the bacteria be allowed to wreak havoc.  If there is perennially a poor stream - this may be due to some obstruction.  

It may be best to see your urologist again. A request may be made for pressure dynamics studies to evaluate where the problem is.

Stay the course , treatment with antibiotics can be very frustrating as for these cases - it tend to take a long time and tend to require several rounds of treatment.