Prostate Cancer Community
Constant Urinary tract infections after radiation therapy
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Constant Urinary tract infections after radiation therapy

I am 53 yrs old, I had prostectomy surgery in 2006, followed up with external beam radiation therapy in 2007. Three months after surgery I had no urinary problems...but after radiation therapy I am having continuous Urinary Infections. Treatment is usually 500mg of Cipro, followed by months of Macrobid 100mg.  I start to feel better, urine flow is always weak, but steady....then within a few weeks, the burning starts again, there is thick mucuous in my urine and then I dribble and finally am unable to pee.  Each  doctor starts the process all over again.  This is continually happening...any ideas as to why it keeps reacurring. The last doctor told me the bacteria causing the problem is normally found in low levels in all of us, unfortunately my body can not keep that bacterial level down to normal parameters. What did the radiation do to cause this effect in me?