Post Prostate Cancer Removal PSA levels
I had a radical prostatectomy in August 2003. After 3  6 month PSA level of at or under .01 my PSA level slowly elevated  on each of 8 subsequent  6 month checkups until it currently is 0.3. My doctor says he is not yet concerned but wants to watch the PSA level over a longer period. His concern is a leap of PSA level over a short period of time, say 6 months. My age is 75. Are there cases such as mine and what were the conclusions if any in that regard?

It would be best to remember that the testing presents an estimate as to disease progression. The PSA would be expected to fluctuate and gradually increase over time. This laboratory abnormality may precede the development of any significant symptoms by months to years. When did the PSA value reach 0.2? Patients after surgery have been reviewed and on the average, a PSA value of 0.2 or greater may be documented 8 years before the symptoms.Discuss your options with your doctor. There are some patients who present with isolated metastases or recurrence which is still amenable to radiation therapy which may mean a chance for cure. Stay positive.