Prostate Cancer Community
Rising PSA after Radical Prostatectomy and Salvage Radiation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to advanced or metastatic prostate cancer, biopsy, bone scan, blood in urine or semen, benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), CT scan, cystoscopy, erectile dysfunction (ED), hormone therapy, incontinence, pain (abdomen, lower back or hip), PSA test, prostatitis, radiation therapy, rectal exam, recurrent cancer, screening, staging (tumor size, metastasis), transrectal ultrasound, and urinary difficulty, burning, or urgency (leaking).

I had a radical prostatectomy in Feb 2006. My Gleason Score from the removed specimen was a 3+4=7. The slides were reviewed by Dr. Jonathan Epstein of Johns Hopkins who also came up with my Gleason Score. For several months after surgery my PSA was <.1. By May of 2008, my PSA was 0.14. My urologist and surgeon sent me for Salvage Radiation starting in July 2008 and finishing in September 2008. From December 2008 through November 2010 my PSA was 0.1. From February 2011 through October 2011 it was 0.2. From February 2012 through September 2012 it was 0.3. My latest PSA taken last month was 0.4.

After surgery and radiation, my PSA is still rising! My urologist says I am stable. But I am very worried about this. It seems the only other treatment available is hormonal therapy.  I dread the side effects. I will be 64 in May, married and still have an active sex life.

Is there anything out there besides hormonal that is available to stop my rising PSA
Hi and welcome. I had the robotic 45 radiation for mine. From what ive learned hormonal would be the next suggested step but your gleason score does not show and agressive cancer and there are no spike in your psa. I think you should talk to an oncologist about the options, they are the cancer specialists. I personally think your ok and will live a long and prosperous life. How are you till having sex, i just had the radiation and my sex life is shot to hell! What was your psa before the surgery in  2006?