Radiology Expert Forum
What does my MRI say in Lay Person's language?
About This Forum:

Welcome to the Radiology Forum! Questions in this forum are being answered by medical professionals. Topics covered in this forum include Breast Imaging, CT/CAT Scan, Mammography, MRI, Nuclear Medicine, Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound and X-rays.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

What does my MRI say in Lay Person's language?

I've had MS for 24 years and recently had an MRI, as part of a general neuro work-up.  My MS is stable and I have been called a "walking miracle."  I have a neurogenic bladder, some cognitive issues, and am on disability.  
MRI results:
A small retention cyst is seen posteriorly in the left sphenoid simus.  The intracranial vasculature demonstrate expected signal void.  The pituitary infundibulum is in the midline.  No Chiari malformation is noted.  On FLAIR and T2 weighted images, numerous periventricular. globular, and punctate areas of increased signal intensity are seen.  These are seen to involve the corpus callosum as well.  Many of them have a radial or transverse elongated appearance consistent with Dawson's fingers.  Many are in juxtacortical location.  There is a suggestion of a small area of increased signal intensity in the inferior posterior pons.  Several small areas of increased juxtacortical position in the midline in the cerebellum.  Small lesions are also noted to be in an extreme juxtacortical position in left and right frontal lobes, left parietal lobe.  No restriction diffusion is noted.  The ventricular system is not enlarged.  Some of these lesions are associated with parenchymal brain loss ("black holes") on T1 weighted imaging.  No Mass effect is noted.

IMPRESSION:
Abnormal MRI scan demonstrating:
1. Numerous small juxtacortical areas of increased signal intensity on T2 and FLAIR imaging.
2. Numerous, too numerous to count, punctate, globular, and linear areas of increased signal intensity in the periventricular region with minimal involvement of the corpus callosum.
3.  Small areas of encephalomalacia on T1 weighted imaging in many of the areas described above.

CLINICAL COMMENT:
This study would be strongly suggestive of demyelinating disease given the distribution of lesions, involvement of the corpus callosum. their radial orientation, and their juxtacortical location.  No lesions appear acute.
Tags: MRI, ms, mri head
2054227_tn?1360523094
This MRI is consistent with a person w/ MS.
Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979