Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Community
Burning joints

Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) is a form of arthritis that causes pain, swelling, stiffness and loss of function in your joints. It can affect any joint but is common in the wrist and fingers. The purpose of the community is to share support and information with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) patients and their loved ones. Topics in the community include: causes, clinical trials, complications, family issues, living with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), prognosis, research, surgery, treatments

Burning joints

I've had RA since I was 15 and am now 26. In December 2011 my RA decided to flair up after nearly 8 yrs of being remissive. I had a small flair in 2009 with my jaw according the the oral surgeon, but nothing else til December. The RA has moved into my hips and flailed badly in my knees again and I'm experiencing what feels roughly like acid dumped into my knees along with joint pain in hips, knees, and ankles. Anyone else have this symptom?
Hi there!

Involvement of large joints is a rarer presentation of RA, though this could represent a flare as well. However other possible causes of joint inflammation such as infection, inflammation, injuries, degeneration would need to be considered as well. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a rheumatologist or an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
I think you missed that I was diagnosed positively at 15 with RA. My current RA specialist is attempting to find treatments after me being untreated since I was 17-18 yrs old.  So far the plaquinel isn't doing much more than keeping me functional and I've not a clue about why my joints are burning.  My RA began in my knees so I don't know if the burning is due to damage or is a new symptom since I don't remember not having knee problems.