Stroke Community
5 years post massive stroke, with MS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

5 years post massive stroke, with MS

My best friend had a massive stroke 5 years ago at age 50. The doctors say it is unusual and the result of peeling of the internal carotid resulting in an unrecoverable mechanical block. After much therapy, she can walk with a brace and cane, but cannot talk except a few words, does not initiate, and has lost complete use of her right arm and is limited to central to nose vision in the right eye. This is on top of presumed MS. She seems to have progressive loss of feeling-almost none on the right, decreased sensation on the left and increasing tremors on the left (she had intermittent minor tremors, each side before). She cannot write and has trouble eating, except finger food. Neurologist has given up, just prescribes meds. She is also having increasing difficulty getting up, as all her weight is on the left and she contorts to rise. Suggestions? Life expectancy? She seems to understand most everything and will make an occasional joke but is unable to process if questions. Thanks so much. I have taken care of her 6 out of 7 days for this time as her husband works, and mostly overnight. We go to the zoo, movies, I read to her, play solitaire and card games on her Ipad, and do jigsaw puzzles. Her foot is also curling in more which makes getting to the shower barefoot dangerous. I am about out of ideas.  MS? Stroke? Combination (probably). Expectations?> What will make her life better/easier? Thank you a million times over.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Understand your predicament. But it is difficult to predict what exactly the prognosis would be. If she has MS in addition, she will need therapy for MS. Usually a diagnosis of multiple sclerosis can be made over months to years and it is based on MRI, electro physiological potentials from the brain and the presence of abnormal cells in the cerebrospinal fluid (fluid surrounding the brain).

So for now, continue with physiotherapy, control high risk factors like diabetes and hypertension and follow up with your doctor for regular assessments. Try to make her home ‘friendly’ like have anti skid tiles or keep handles or bars on the walls, so that she can mobilize herself.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.