Stroke Community
Brain stem stroke in the pons area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Brain stem stroke in the pons area

My sister, age 53, had a brain stem stoke in the pons area on Aug. 11, 2008. The doctors said approximately 90% of the pons was damaged. She has a form of the locked-in syndrom (syndrome).  She has feeling in her body, but can not move anything but facial muscles.  She is now breathing on her own, but has a trachea and a feeding tube.  Is there someone who has had the same type of stroke and give me some insight as to what to expect.  I am hoping and praying with lots of work, she will be wheelchair moble and hopefully able to talk.  I would appreciate any comments from anyone.

Thank you!