Mood swings and aggression with stroke
My husband had a hemorrhagic stroke May 3. He's still in the hospital and three days ago started having drastic mood swings and showed signs of aggression on a home visit. This is and was completely out of character for this kind, loving man. He's 74 and the love of my life, but he's been especially agitated at me since he's always taken care of me and now I'm taking care of him. He was started on a regimen of Ativan and Lexapro yesterday, in addition to his other medications. The cardiologist also diagnosed supraventricular tachycardia, but he can't take a blood thinner due to the brain bleed. He wears a heart monitor and is in the rehab unit getting physical, speech, occupational and recreational therapies. I am so stressed about his coming home due to the mood swings and aggression. I'm afraid he might hurt himself or me. Any advice? Please!
How are you? If your husband's emotions or behavior have changed since his stroke, this may be partly caused by physical damage to the brain that normally controls  the emotions. This can lead to  a change in how he thinks, feel or  behave. Sometimes, anger and aggression can be avoided. Try to give him as much choice as possible. Be patient and allow plenty of time for him to carry out tasks and to respond to you. Pay attention and don’t ask them to do something you know they will not be able to do. If he hurts himself, you may need to inform his attending physician. Take care and do keep us posted.