Stroke Community
Pons Stroke Rehabilitation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Pons Stroke Rehabilitation

I suffered a small pons stroke and have been lucky enough to regain most of my functions.

I do have some balance, coordination and vision (double vision) problems.  I understand from rehab that doing vestibular exercises will not help, but I am wondering what exercises you can recommend to strengthen my stability.  I walk on a treadmill, and try and use a balance board.  Is there anything else I can be doing to improve balance.  I do not buy into giving up.

Are there an online post stroke exercise routines available?

P.S. Young stroke survivor - 32 years old.

Thanks a bunch!  
-1 Comments Post a Comment
I sure don't have all the answers, but I have used painting within the house to assist several people with balance problems.I have painted a six inch contrasting color band parallel to the floor in one case, and used two-tone paint in the other. Previously, the walls were a single color. Both patients told me this helped them to maintain a sense of balance. The stripes enable the eye to provide additional"balance feedback".
I am going to throw out some information that should be discussed with your physician. Very ocasionally, a stroke will cause damage to the area of the brain called the substantia nigra, located in the mid-brain. This area is responsible for dopamine production and the control of voluntary movement. Lack of dopamine can sometimes cause "Parkinson's like" symptoms, which include loss of balance and falling backward or sideways. It is unlikely this is your problem, but it is possible. Differential diagnosis can involve tests for dopamine levels or issueing a "dopamine challanhe" by administering drugs supplying this substance and seeing is balance improves. In the mean time, it wouldn't hurt to take B-12 and folic acid supplements (use the liquid sublingually) that are helpful to D-2 receptor sites, which assist in controlling movement.

I just had an AVM myself. Small, double vision, nystagmus, minor facial numbness, and lightheadedness. All seemingly improving after a week.

I was told to expect 6-8 weeks for improvement. How long since yours?

Thanks,

Ty
A very dear friend of mine just had a pons stroke. Don't know much about this, haven't been able to see him, he lives in another state. His neurologist said (the very first day) that he may never walk again. Any thoughts?? He is very proud and won't see any friends only his parents.
To whom it may concern,
My name is Sean Ellis. I'll be 39 on 3/22. On April 2, 2007 I suffered a stroke, leaving me weak on the right side. The Fort Smith Doctors weren't able to diagnose it at first. After a month and a half in the Mercy Medical Hospital Physical Therapy wing, I was able to return home - I was using a walker. We went to a specialist at UAMS in Little Rock, AR. They went over my records, MRI results (Both from the 2007  attack and another less pronounced attack in November of 2003, also not diagnosed), and my history all the way back to when I was 12 when I had an inoperable brain tumor. (After putting in a shunt to relieve pressure caused by the tumor, I was treated with 7 weeks of radiation treatment, 7500 rad. It worked, but my natural way of relieving fluid pressure, between the treatment and tumor was no longer functioning. I ended having to keep a shunt permanently). Turns out the radiation treatment that saved my life then also caused Radiation Necrosis ( a premature aging and weakening of the vessels in my brain ). The reason they were not able to diagnose me is they were looking for a bleed when the vessels  more or less just gave out and collapsed. No visible bleed was present. All this means I'm chronic for strokes. They have me on an Aspirin Regiment.
I can't drive, but I'm walking with a quad cane, extra slow. I'm trying to go back to work now. My employer and fellow employees have been great. I still worry about busy season this Summer, and possibly giving myself another stoke. I' m  some what keeping up with my jobs now. I think busy season may be a problem.
Getting to the point. Could anyone send me any information on grants I may qualify for and any organizations that could help me apply.

Sincerely,
Sean Ellis
8219 S. 35th Terrace
Fort Smith, AR 72908
e-mail:
home:  ***@****
work: ***@****
my grandma age around 84 just suffered from stroke pons area. Don't know much about this,  Her neurologist said that the internal bleeding are massive. takes times to recovery or maybe not.she can open her eyes just for awhile only. the emotional feeling are negative.  Any thoughts??

could any send any infomation on that pls!!.

sincerely
ARK 67

e-mail ***@****
     I am suffered a small pons stroke on 11/4/2011 and lucky enough to regain all of my functions.  But get either  dizziness, or  paralyze, short of breath, and heart rythm when go to work.  
     I am a software engineer, and I am not sure if the sickness cause by analyzing problem or stress.  Everytime I get sick, it get worst and it take longer to recover.  I end up in the emergency and hopitalize two time more after stroke due to vertigo.  Since the job hold for me only one year, I don't want to loose my job.
Any suggestion to get rid of this sickness?

Thnaks
Pon11114
I am 47 now, suffered a stroke of the pons on 11/20/2010. They gave me a 10% chance of making it and they said 5% of these severe strokes would be able to function. I too suffer from anxiety and vertigo especially while driving in freeways that are really freaks me out and start panicing.  The way my doctor explained is that a stroke happens all your filters are gone and basically you get over stimulated causing anxiety. He gave me Xanax at first and it really didn't help. The doctor changed me to low dose of prozac in the mornings. It seemed to help so we have worked with the dosage to help out. Please whatever you do any little thing that is continueing or certain syntoms still showing be honest with your doctor and if don't like him find a new one. Mine seems to understand and ask me questions and most of all listens, you have to feel like your doctor is your friend and it is you and him just having a conversation. Sick at your stomach you can try ginger pills which will settle your stomach or a flat coke that has lost all of it's carbonation.