Recovery
I suffered a Stroke and Heart Attack followed by a 4 month Coma in 09. I have no effects of it other than I have lost my sense of direction and some memory loss.
Will my memories return? I miss some of them, like driving.
The Doctors drilled holes in my skull and drained the blood off because they had only given me a 10% chance of making it out of the coma. I guess this procedure is not done very much, yet it worked very well for me.
Also I was wondering if I am going to be safer wearing some type of helmet to protect my head. I have 3 holes in my head that haven't filled in yet. I don't think they will after all this time.
I would like to get on with life at this point, so any advice would be welcome.
Thank You
Gary Charron
Hi, as you are aware it is difficult to predict the exact prognosis after stroke. The human brain has great redundancy. In some cases memory is damaged. In other strokes only partial paralysis may be involved, which may disappear. As to whether or not the patient can be "just like they were", the answer is "probably not", however with a caveat. Some stroke patients do appear to have 100 percent recovery. And many regain a great deal of their abilities.

You could try a lot of ‘brain teasers’ to improve your memory functions. The brain can retain only a certain number of ‘facts’ and everything else is recalled based on its relationship with these facts. So, try always making lists and memorizing, doing a lot of puzzles, focus on recalling textual content and mathematical logic, not only recall keep giving it your personal touch by adding something to it; focus on both long term and short term events and jot it down and get it cross checked and keep improving on speed and efficiency. And do get adequate sleep; it’s supposed to improve cognitive functions. I know it’s easy to talk but difficult to practice, but perseverance is the key here keep at it and you will see a drastic improvement. Regards.