Stroke Community
Severe pain after Thalamic stroke - HELP

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

Hi all,

My 53 years old father suffered a severe ischemic stroke in the right side of the brain after a carotid dissection. Several regions of the brain was affected, including the Thalamus… He is suffering a lot of pain on the left side of his body which is paralyzed and was diagnosed with Central Post-Stroke Pain or Thalamic Pain. But the kind of pain he feels doesn’t match the typical “burning” sensation worsened by touch, but something like a electric shock. He tells me it seems like his leg is constantly plugged to the outlet.

My question is if anyone here has symptoms similar to his or know someone who has, and what is the medications or therapies presenting the best results.

Thank you and good luck,

Guilherme