TIA
I had a TIA but it did not show up on a MRI or a CT scan.  I had facial drooping, slurred speech, numbness in left arm and leg, trouble swallowing, and issues with my gait.  I felt as though I was going to pass out.  I did not know that I was experiencing a TIA; however, my mother has had multiple TIAs and they have not shown up on CT or MRI and my sister has had 7 TIAs and they have not shown up on testing either.  Is this common?  I was in hospital on blood thinners for two days and following my release, I still have difficulty with gait, numbness in left arm and leg, pain in both, and jerky-type movements.  I have never had anything like this happen to me.  The only thing the MRI did show was that I had multiple lesions on my brain but, the attending neurologist told me that everyone has lesions on their brain and not to worry about it.  I would sincerely appreciate any advice on this matter as I am extremely frustrated, exhausted (walking takes a lot out of me), and confused.

Sincerely,

Sassytazz28 (I am 37 yrs old)
Hello and hope you are doing well.

TIA or transient ischemic attack, which as the name indicates there is a temporary lack of blood flow to a particular part of the brain. The blood flow is restored quickly and the symptoms disappear within 24 hours. For most patients with a TIA, the symptoms last less than one hour. The longer the symptoms last, the more likely that there will be permanent brain tissue injury. In your case the clot could have dissolved due to the blood thinners, hence the infarct may not be visible on imaging studies. It may take time for the weakness and gait to normalize. Continue with your medications and physical therapy. Good Luck.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.