Stroke Community
TIA or Stroke if CT Scan shows damage?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

TIA or Stroke if CT Scan shows damage?

I posted a question earlier but didn't get any responses so I'll try to be more clear. I had a TIA in March 2010 and all the initial tests in emergency were normal (non-contrast CT Scan, blood work, ECG etc). I was sent home as soon as soon as my speech started to come back several hours later, although I still wasn’t able to keep my balance. I was also given a prescription for a blood thinner since the low-dose aspirin I was taking after a prior suspected TIA hadn’t prevented this TIA. Although mostly resolved by 24 hours, some speech side effects continued for a week and a few minor memory/word retrieval issues remain. Over the next several weeks I was followed up by the stroke unit, and the neurologist ordered an extensive battery of tests. I was diagnosed with a PFO and ASA and was referred to a cardiologist for follow-up and future closure of the PFO. Last week the cardiologist told me that she has gone over my entire file and a later CT Scan (it could only be the CT Angiogram with contrast dye that I had several weeks later) showed two clear areas of damage in my brain and that I had had a small stroke. I was surprised to hear this as I thought I had come to terms with having a TIA. Does it take time for damaged areas to show up on CT Scans? Would the contrast dye make such a difference? I won’t see the neurologist for clarification for some weeks, so if anyone can help me out with feedback in the short term it would be appreciated. I’m just confused and a little upset by this new information. I thought TIAs by definition didn’t leave any evidence, but strokes did. I was too shocked to ask the right questions when I was with the cardiologist. Thanks.