Stroke Community
left arm weakness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

left arm weakness

Hello!  I wrote a question a few weeks ago, this question is a follow up to that one.  I was in a car accident on 3/18/04, since that time I have had left upper extremity weakness.  I have had a MRI of c-spine and brain, and an EMG of my arm.  All tests were negative. The doctor I am seeing said it is possible that I have rotator cuff tear.  What are the normal symptoms for that?  I don't have a lot of pain in my shoulder.  The pain I am having is in my deltoid area of my arm, and my neck and trap. muscles.  Also I am unable to shrug my left shoulder.  Would a rotator cuff tear effect the ability to shrug my shoulder?  I have been in PT for 2 months with minimal results.  My strength is still at about 40% what my right arm is.  I want to do everything I can to get better so I can return to work quickly.  I am a nurse and have to be able to lift 100lbs (using body mechanics to position patients) to return to my job.  The other problem with that is I am 5'4" and only weigh 110lbs myself. I was able to lift that before the accident.  Is there any other tests you would recommend?  Any exercises that you think would help?  Thank you so much for your time!