Stroke Community
mini stroke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

mini stroke

I just got out of the hospital after suffering a few mini strokes. I was released after 3 days and doctors are still confused. I have mini stroke or seizure? as my dx.

They released with with aspirin and a pat on the back.

First day my arm went linp and I went to call for help my mouth would not move and my speech was slurred, it only lasted a minute.

2nd day, I went to yell at my dog for stealing food and my left leg went limp and again my speech slurred. later that day I went to bathroom, got up and leg went limp and I cralwed to hallway asking for help and my I was unable to say a name. The person who saw me said my face was up an angle on one side.

I went to ER and as soon as I got to the door I was unable to walk... very weak. CT scan I felt the left side of my body clench up, slurred speech.

They ran all kinds of tests and found nothing except a hole in my heart, yet said it was too small to cause a stroke.

It's odd because a week before my jaw ans neck were so stiff and in pain they said it was TMJ, then I have these weird episodes.

I have no instructions to see a cardio, just a follow up with my pcp and the neuro in 2 weeks because I have thick blood and they are waiting for results on the numbers.

Does this seem slightly negligent that they didn't do more to find the exact cause?
Tags: Stroke
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

What you had could be TIAs. TIA or transient ischemic attack, which as the name indicates there is a temporary lack of blood flow to a particular part of the brain. This usually recovers, but these people are more prone for strokes. For the TIA, if you are a hypertensive or diabetic, ensure to keep these under check. Eat healthy, a low salt and oily diet and exercise regularly. To improve blood flow to the ischemic areas plavix is indicated. The drug is used to prevent heart attacks, strokes, and to treat peripheral vascular disease and claudication. So, for TIAs the high risk factors are dealt with and to improve blood supply plavix is given.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.