Stroke Community
post surgical stroke

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

post surgical stroke

I am a 57 y/o w/f with no abnormal neurological or vascular complications.  After I had a colonoscopy with hemorrhoidectomy on 9/10/08.....I had symptoms of dizziness, falling, headache, slurred speech, poor balance and inability to think clearly.....I thought it was due to post surgery lethary and pain medication even after I quit the meds 3 weeks post surgery.  I failed at my ability to return to work due to these symptoms......so, after 2 weeks of 1/2 days at work and inability to function, I went to see my PCP and was diagnosed with a stroke.... I am slowly improving.......MRI was clear.....carotid untrasound showed minimal blockage on the right.....I was put on Plavix and to return to work.....but my questions are:

Is this a frequent occurrance after surgery?  Could it have been prevented?  Does it mean I had a post surgical stroke and probably would not have had the stroke if not for the surgery?  Do persons who have post surgical strokes have a greater tendency to have another stroke?  or is it unlikely for me to have another stroke soon as this was surgically induced?  How long do you think I will need to take the Plavix?