Stroke Community
tia to scan time?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to stroke, rehabilitation, ability to eat/swallow, alertness, bowel/bladder control, depression, motor skills, nutrition, orthotics/braces, pain, prevention, senses, and spasticity.

tia to scan time?

Hi.
My father recently had a TIA and I am concerned about the time it took to do the mri scan.Because the tia was relatively minor it wasn't diagnosed till a couple days after it had occurred as my father didn't complain of any ill feeling and he didnt have much outward sign [ just a loss of strength in arm leg ] so wasn't till a family member saw him that it became apparent something had happened.After then being taken to and diagnosed by his doctor [ who prescribed aspirin ]and being referred to local hospitals TIA clinic it was three weeks after the tia clinic till he had an mri which revealed a large bleed in his skull and which needed an operation. He was whisked to A&E and admitted to hospital where he was told he needed a craniotomy but that he would have to wait 4 days till the aspirin had left his blood before it could be done. We ,his family are concerned about all the things that could have happened because this scan wasn't done straight away plus the fact maybe he has had to spend 5 days in hospital uneccessarily. My questions if anyone could help are would it have made a difference if he had had the scan sooner and would he have been admitted straight away and operated on without the 5 days in hospital .Also would the bleed have been the cause of the tia or was it a symptom of the tia which has occurred in the weeks since and maybe wouldn't have shown if an immediate scan had been done.Any other info or advice would be much appreciated Thanks in advance
just to update that he hasn't actually had a tia or stroke at all it was simply a bleed inside his skull so the diagnosis, prescribing of aspirin were wrong