Teen Health Community
Help please..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

Help please..

A weak heart is in my family, my uncle died at age 30 of a heart attack. According to my doctor it's hereditary. I have not yet gotten it checked out. I have this really strong pain in my upper left chest & my heart begins to hurt really REALLY bad. So i inhale largely & my chest gets real tight, but then the pain fades for a little bit. After about 2 minutes I have to do it again. It's really painful and i don't know what to do.. Help please.
Hi!
Since you have a strong family history, I would suggest you get a 12 lead EKG/ECG done as soon as possible. If it is positive then you may need further tests immediately. Otherwise schedule an appointment with a cardiologist for a complete cardiac check up.
Otherwise, chest pain aggravated by laughing yawning, moving in certain directions, stretching and deep breathing goes more in favor of costochondritis, which causes pain and tenderness at points where your ribs attach to your breastbone.  The inflammation around the joint area gives sharp pain on taking a breath. This can also cause tenderness on pressing the area which pains. An orthopedic doctor can diagnose this for you. Generally there is no cause. However it can be due to infection, blow, injury, or fibromyalgia. It usually goes away on its own. Otherwise it can be treated with muscle relaxants, and non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs. You can apply a local pain killer gel or cream and avoid pressing on the area. You can also use a heating pad.
It can also be muscle pull. Shingles can also start this way.
Pleuritis and Pulmonary embolism are other possibilities causing shortness of breath with chest pain. A CT scan of the chest can rule out both. Another possibility that can explain the pain is pericarditis. It causes chest pain aggravated by laughing yawning and deep breathing and also causes radiation of pain to arms. Again an EKG, heat echo and chest X-ray is required. Stabbing chest pains can also be due to a bad gastric reflux.
Since I cannot examine you and know other related conditions you may be having, nor is a detailed history possible on net, I have listed the various possibilities that should be looked into. Please consult your PCP to run tests and examination to clinch a diagnosis.
Take care!