Teen Health Community
Scared and blacking out

This patient support community is for discussions relating to teen health, including abuse, acne and skin, alcohol and drugs, ADD/ADHD, exercise, growth disorders, infectious diseases, learning disorders, nutrition, piercings and tattoos, teen pregnancy, relationships, safe sex, sports injuries, STDs, vaccines, and weight loss.

Scared and blacking out

I had a blackout a few months ago. I was taking a polygraph for extra credit for my psychology class, and we were on the third set of questions when i suddenly started seeing spots. The spots quickly went from lttle to big til I couldn't see. Not only could I not see but I couldn't move, and the professor giving the test said I went into a trance. I was answering the questions but I coudn't remember anything. Today, during one of my classes I started feeling the same way and almost completely lost my vision, but once I started feeling like I was going to black out, I kept moving around. I don't know what's happening to me and I'm really scared. What's going on in my head??
Hi!
There are many causes of dizziness, lightheadedness, passing out, blackouts etc. It is difficult to comment without examination. I am just enumerating the possible causes. You can discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Dizziness could be due to postural hypotension (blood pressure falling with change of position), internal ear problems and cervical spondylitis or compression of cervical spinal nerves. All these cause dizziness when you get up from lying down position or when you change position that results in a change in the level of your head. Cervical spondylitis and ear problems also cause dizziness on changing the position of the neck.
Other causes are anemia, claustrophobia, GERD, hypoglycemia or low sugar and some endocrine problems. Endocrine problems, such as an underactive thyroid (called hypothyroidism), overactive thyroid (called hyperthyroidism), adrenal insufficiency (called Addison's disease), low blood sugar levels, and in some cases, diabetes, may lead to hypotension and hence lightheadedness and an off balance feeling.
Certain types of epilepsies and seizures too can cause similar symptoms. If you have an accompanying headache then you must also look at benign intracranial hypertension. Heart problems too should be ruled out in your case. If all other tests are normal, maybe an ECHO should be done to rule out mitral valve prolapse. Patent foramen ovale too could be the cause (commonly known as hole in the heart). It can also be chronic fatigue syndrome if all other causes are ruled out. A brain lesion too can cause dizziness but often there are other neurological signs such as numbness, tingling, loss of function of a limb etc. Do discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. The list looks daunting, but remember, you do not have most of these! Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.