Thyroid Disorders Community
Did anyone have Steri Strip After surgery?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Did anyone have steri stip after surgery...I have one that is now 11 days old.  It i curling up at the ends...but it is holding on tightly to the incision.  How long before your s came off?
I did.I guess it was about 4 weeks befroe it totally came off.MIne curled up like that too and I couldnt resist messing with it.Scars are healing beautifully.
I like the steristrips much better than stitches.
Yours shold be ready to come off in another week.Ok?
Love Venora
I had steri strips too...the surgeon told me to use scissors to trim it up if it started to curl...he took them off after a week with a special solution that dissolves the glue...
I am a week post TT and just had my stiches out yesterday and the doctor left my steri strips on but I think I am going to remove them.  Don't mind going out in public with my scar but those strips make it all the more noticeable.  Guessing at this point they arent doing anymore for my scar?
Since I was in the hospital for a week after TT due to low calcium, the surgeon just pulled off the steristrips on day 6. So I guess it's fine to do it after a week.
I had then too and just gently pulled them off as they curled up. I think I had 4 layers of steri strips..(i think doc was afraid it would bust open again if I coughed) hahaha
Lisa
*Love* the steri strips.  Other than they look pretty ugly.  :-)  My surgeon had me trim the ends of them too then she pulled the remaining ones off at my 1-week follow up.  *If* you pull them off pull them across the incision - meaning don't pull them off vertically, pull them horizontally

Your incision goes like this --------
Your strips go like this IIIIIII
Pull the strips off like this --------
My surgeon said that way they won't pull on the incision and open it up accidentally.
Had ster-strips with both my surgeries and they stayed on about 3-4 weeks both times.  In each case they started to curl on the ends and I just trimmed them up w ith some scissors.  The first time I pulled them off as it was 4 weeks and they were barely holding on.  The second time I seen my surgeon after 3 weeks and he removed them as they were much stickier.
The scar is the same after both surgeries and I really didn't mind the strips at all!

Lee
I had steri-strips...they started to curl up...one layer came off and the other layers showed the nasty dried blood underneath...ewww..that was at about a week...so...I took a really hot shower and got the remaining loose ones really wet enough that they pulled right off...:) scar looks good...I am almost 5 weeks post op
I had steri strips. Surgery was on a Monday and I was told, on leaving the hospital, to remove them on Friday - 4th day after surgery. No problems at all. Scar looks good, too. In fact, two weeks after surgery some people said the scar looked like a mere scratch (and the scar is a good four inches long, nothing piddling about it.) There are so many different ways of doing things. Isn't it amazing?
I had sutures with a small dressing and on the 3rd day at my office visit he took the sutures out and applied steri strips .  I was instructed to leave them on for a week unless they came off earlier.  I removed them after about 5 days and things look great.
I had them until 1 week after the surgery and now I am using scar tapes.

Cheers,
Scott