Thyroid Disorders Community
Kelp and hashimoto's

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and Thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Kelp and hashimoto's

Is it true that Kelp can make the symptoms of hashimoto's worst?  I have been taking a Kelp supplement sense I got sick back in Oct and I have not been able to get regulated at all.  I'm wondering if this is related?
I'm stopping the Kelp as of today. and I'm interested to see what happens.
Stop the kelp. It may be helping or it may be hurting. It's hard to say. In the long run it's best just to not take it.

And don't be disheartened, but three months is NOTHING. Three months is sticking your toe in the water. You may feel better three months after they get your meds right, but first they have to get your meds right.

It's been a year since I was told "now we will work on finding the correct dose". I'm looking at another doseage adjustment from the results of my latest bloodwork.

Getting balanced may take a while.

The kelp is a high iodine wild card. It may be a benefit or a detriment. Stop taking it. The chances of it helping are not worth the risk unless a doctor feels it will help.
Just reading your reply there, no offense, but how have ye gone through this for a year! Iv been like this since september but just started meds 5 weeks ago and I don't see much improvment in some of my symptoms. I really cant imagine being like this for a year, Iv bad anxiety which is the worst as Iv got racing almost like obsessive thinking with it! But like Iv been told there is a light at the end...
It's been 2 1/2 years since I first became extremely ill. I had been on thyroid meds for a year and a half before that happened.

It ain't been no picnic! (I love talking like a hick!)

The point I was making, and I know it is not happy news, is that it is normal to take three to six months to find the correct dose, and THEN you will start to heal.

Feeling better a month after one starts Levoxyl (for example) is possible. It is even possible the doctor may guess correctly and get you on the right dose the first time.

Most of the time getting on hormone replacement will make you feel better (though not healed or healthy) in a few weeks, but getting stable on the correct dose can take a while.

That's why getting tested every six weeks the first six months at least is a good idea. One or two tests that look "close enough" is not good enough. The third six week cycle may show a need for a med change.

I had RAI to kill my thyroid in Jan '08. It was dead by June (probably March). I'm still trying to find the right dose.

88mcg, 75mcg, 88mcg, 75mcg...

But chear up.
Some people get lucky. :o)
Youv been through he// then! Im gona stay positive, keep my mind set on becoming the old me again! Or even a better verson LOL.
Good Luck
Jen.
I know it can take a long time but this *****.  In plan english.  I hate feeling this way.  I had anxiety all day today.  
AR-10 did you or do you have anxiety also?
Yes -

stay off the kelp - Don't take that any more - This could also be why you are swinging up and down as we talked about.

Still a bit anxious today?