Thyroid Disorders Community
PMS

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

PMS

I've been gone awhile but classes just started up again and it's been crazy.

I'm Hypo and have vitamin deficiencies in zinc, B12, iron, B3, and vitamin d...and I have H. Pylori.

I had my TSH tested about two weeks ago and it was 1.6 but I'm feeling great.
I'm treating my vitamin deficiencies. Lots of symptoms have cleared up.
I've done one round of the H Pylori treatment and go in next week to take the breath test to see if I still have it. I don't feel 100% better but I feel some improvement.

But what's getting me now is PMS. I'm 26 years old and never really had PMS. I'll get cramps a few times a year but they are very minor and never take pain reliever for them. About 6 months ago (shortly after the thyroid when super crazy and I got lots of symptoms) PMS starting making a presence. It's worse every month. I'm not in control of my emotions. I'm irritable. I cry easily. I'm just angry. During the rest of the month I'm a cheerful, relaxed person.

This PMS madness must stop and I'm thinking that a sudden onset is due to something.....

Any ideas?
I have it too. BAD and it is a problem trying to get through the cycle every month.

I suffer too; some months much worse than others. It's a wicked struggle to 'break the code'! My daily 'pill' load --now near obscene- includes a big dose of Omega 3s-- which 'anodoctally' is meant to help, plus a dose of excercise during that 'criminal' week to release much needed 'happy' endorphins. Am recently off caffeine and alcohol, so am thinking that should help too- but am battling period pains which have something to do with proglastiglands (sp)---yet another 'code' I've yet to break as I think there are certain foods one is meant to avoid...meat? sugar? Do you get pains too? Help anyone?

It's a working lab indeed and like a mad scientist in charge (with wild hair some days to boot)---am starting to wonder--is the thyroid really Frankenstein in disguise?!  : )  
My teenage daughter suffered from severe PMS until I took her to a nutrionist and put her on calcium supplements. It helped. Not 100% better but her Advil consumption has gone from 5 straight days to just 1 or 2. And the mood problems and irritability have improved dramatically.  And when I say she had it BAD......that would be an understatement.  Her bestfriend even noticed the difference.  Worth a try. The nutritionist put her on Calcium Lactate but we've since switched over the Citracal with Vitamin D since I can get it at the local store.  And you have to be diligent with it and take it every single day.
I might have to try calcium. Though I had my levels tested and my calcium was fine. Does your daughter take the calcium every day or just daily at certain times of the month?

I've already given up caffeine (for about a decade) and alcohol (mostly - a glass of wine once a month maybe).

Maybe I could try adding in some more exercise but I walk everywhere.

Sugar....ah....but I crave sugar so much especially in the week before my period. I've been contemplating a no sugar (except natural sugars in fruits and a bit of agave for my herbal tea) month experiment to see if it helps.
She takes Calcium every single day. Also, I didn't mention this but she also started taking Pycogenol. It's an herb that is getting a lot of press lately. I read about it in Prevention Magazine and talked with the nutritionist and it's supposed to help with PMS as well. She's only been taking that for a few weeks though.
Thx for calcium and pycogenol tips.  How much of each? A male GYN once told me wryly--oxytocin is your ticket mam!  Typish!