Thyroid Disorders Community
THYROID NODULE PAIN???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

THYROID NODULE PAIN???

First, thank you all in advance that offer advice and answers. I am going to me posting this message on several sites so please forgive the repeated requests. Here is my problem(s) I am a 37 year old male. About a month ago I started getting a horse voice with a very mild sore throat mostly on the right side. After about a week I started getting an intermittent “ripping” pain / sensation in a very specific pin point area in my throat near the top of the thyroid /vocal cords.  I was also getting stabbing pains in my ears and bottom of my jaw and under my tongue. The pains continued to my clavicle area as well. I should mention that the pains I mentioned almost never happened all at the same time. It was one or the other. The pains would last for anywhere between 30 seconds and 2 minutes.

So I went to my PCP and dumped the symptoms in his lap and he sent me in for an ultrasound of the thyroid and well as lab work. The labs on my thyroid came back fine but borderline for hyperthyroid yet still in “normal” range. I am overweight and have been for some time so not much concern there.  The US however showed a 1.4cm nonspecific nodule in the right pole of my thyroid. When the doc told me of the findings I asked him if the nodule could be causing the symptoms I was having. Before I tell you what he said, keep something in mind here…I used my index finger and showed him EXACTLY where my throat pain was when I had my first appointment with him a week earlier. The same area I pointed to was precisely where the nodule was found. He said that there was no way that the nodule was causing my symptoms. I went to an endocrinologist and was told the same thing. I also went to an ENT who scoped me to see my tongue, airway, nose, vocal cords ect. He said my vocal cords were slightly inflamed but that shouldn’t cause my symptoms. He also said that the nodule couldn’t be the problem either. I took it a step further and had a barium swallow done which was normal.

As the weeks pass, the pain is getting more and more frequent. Here is my question… Is there anyone out there that had a nodule that caused the same problems I am describing? Did removing it make the symptoms go away? I am at the end of my rope. I feel like because I am young and appear “healthy” that the Dr’s don’t take me seriously or feel concerned because I don’t fit the age mold for someone with these types of problems.  I am having a needle biopsy of the nodule in a few weeks.

its very confusing "what'" causes the pain with this disease however having thyroid autoimmune disease as in Graves and Hashimoto/ Thyroidtoxicosis etc.... the inflammation is very painful and mimic what you describe some for many patients.

A nodule can cause pain when in certain areas however it is rare. My thought would be you have alot of thyroid inflammation but may not be getting the right tests to know the entire condition you have.

Thanks for the reply. According to the ultrasound, my thyroid is normal in size and like I mentioned earlier, the nodule is the only abnormal finding. I also forgot to mention that I had a 3D nuclear CT scan of the neck which found nothing other than the nodule. Im really at the point where I don't trust any of the Dr's that are telling me that there is no way that a 1.4cm nodule could cause these symptoms.
Could you please post those "just fine" thyroid labs so we can take a look at them?  Be sure to include reference ranges, since those vary lab to lab and must come from your own report.

Have you been tested for thyroid antibodies?  Since you're borderline hyper, you'd want to get tested specifically, for Graves, but you should also get tested for Hashimoto's, because it can be characterized by swings from hyper to hypo and back.

I agree that inflammation can cause discomfort and we're all different, so we will all feel the discomfort in different ways.
Barb added alot of good points also.

There are three kinds of thyroid nodules: solid nodules, nodules that are filled with fluid (cystic nodules), and nodules that are partially cystic. You can have one thyroid nodule or several thyroid nodules (multinodular goiter). You can also have some nodules that are solid and some that are cystic. Solid nodules may grow slowly over time. In rare cases, cystic nodules bleed, which can cause them to grow suddenly and become painful.

Here's a good article to take into this doc to explain why you may have this pain from them

http://www.waent.org/archives/2009/vol2-1/thyroid-nodules/thyroid-nodules.htm

Thanks for the reply. Here is my thyroid lab history as well as some other related results. you will see my FSH and LH are low. I am on testosterone replacement and my DOC says that they are low because of the T replacement.

****9-28-12*****

TSH 0.98  REF RANGE IS 0.46 - 3.59

FREE T4  0.90  REF RANGE IS 0.58 - 1.64

FSH 0.71  REF RANGE IS 1.27 - 19.26

LH 0.66    REF RANGE IS 1.24 - 8.62

PROLACTIN 9.35  REF RANGE IS  0 - 18.5

FREE TERSTOSTERONE  103.9  REF RANGE IS 35.0 - 155.0

TOTAL TESTOSTERONE  544  REF RANGE IS 250 - 1100

****06-05-12****

TSH 0.83  REF RANGE IS 0.46 - 3.59

*****06-03-11*****

TSH 0.73  REF RANGE IS 0.46 - 3.59

*****12-18-10*****

TSH 1.11  REF RANGE IS 0.46 - 3.59

What were the results of your FNA?  I am having the same symptoms that you are describing and I have a 1.8cm nodule on my left lobe.  Waiting for results from my FNA.  I realize these posts was from months ago, but I am curious how things turned out for you since my symptoms are so similar.