Thyroid Disorders Community
Thyroid disorder chat room

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

Thyroid disorder chat room

One thing I have noticed about the thyroid disorder section is we all play cat and mouse with the current q&a system provided. I've also noticed we all tend to be online at about the time responding back a fourth. I would like to know if anybody would like a chat room here?Not only would it bring more people here to discuss thyroid issues, maybe dr.Lupo or another reputible endo could chime in at a planned time every week and answer questions.Its probably far fetched but worth the shot right.
76%
 (50) 
Yes
20%
 (13) 
No
3%
 (2) 
I would not use it
0%
 (0) 
I would use it but I doubt anyone else would
65 Members voted
IM in :) Yes!
I am in Australia and to get to put up a question on Dr Lupo's forum is a pain in the proverbial! Fills its daily quota in the wee hours of our morning..if he were on a chat thingy I could ask something. Problem is I think he would get flooded and hence why he has only a limited question session a day.
  Often I notice the same questions keep coming up on this forum, so perhaps if a chat room was set up someplace, then people wouldn't need to scroll through a million other questions here of the same nature.
So yes I think it is a good idea.
I'll answer the poll as a yes - I know Reneaheart sets live chats up for weight loss and I would consider doing a chat once a week like a support session. I like that idea - but I would need assistance to put it together. Not sure how to set one up myself.

Drop this question over on the medhelp suggestions too. Keep this poll LIVE here as much as possible  ( BUMP the post) to see the ratios of how many want something like that here.

Then I can talk with CC9 and Laura to see how we could get this going - if the members here show they want it off this poll.

Thanks for suggesting something like that.
I voted 'yes' because I would use it if it were created.

However, I've always agreed with AR-10 on this one.  Valuable information could get passed back and forth and would be missed since live chats aren't archived the way these threads are.  There's no going back once the chat is over.

For that alone, I might be inclined not to want one created.
Since I begain talking Armour Thyroid I started getting white spots all over.  Dr. says it is vetiligo and is unusual to get at my age.  I noticed this once before, also when I began Armour and it went away on Synthyroid.  Now I can't take the Synthyroid and back on Armour the white spots returned and I get more each day.  Is anyone else with thyroid problems or on Armour experiencing this?
As Thypatient mentioned, there is no way to control chat or archive it.

It is a bad idea on a medical forum.

We chat here all the time, don't we?

The polls are flawed, too.
I voted twice so far.
:o)

I'm going to keep voting.
Hmm...I've voted 7 times so far.

I'm gaining!! Soon I'll be the majority!
Maybe I shouldn't admit that...
:o)

Seriously, think about it.

I could tell someone to go drink a bottle of tincture of iodine and who would even know I told the person that? What if it's late and there are only two or three people on then? Who's going to jump in and tell them I am trying to kill the person I am giving this advice to?

What if someone comes on and says they are going to commit suicide? I tell them to set up a live feed to YouTube? Who's gonna know?

Chat has been proposed to Medhelp on the suggestions forum several times. They think it's a bad idea because someone would have to watch it every second it is active, looking for crackpots and performing damage control.

The ability to share information is short term with chat. The information is gone when it hits the bottom of the page.
If I go to the trouble to sit here and answer a question, that info better stick around longer than a minute.

I got more, but I have to vote again...
:o)
Depending on the chat room service provider their are features now to save scripts.It's like an auto-save feature.Which in turn could be cut and paste into a a new question or archived for future knowledge.Depends on how fancy medhelp wants to get. There is also just cut and paste.Which is the same thing, just a little more work.I still think it out weighs the cons,and will sky rocket medhelp in general the thyroid forum no doubt.The more business this sites brings only in turn helps us, by them providing more resources like Dr.Lupo for example.
How many questions go unanswered on this forum because they come in faster than they can be answered?

You want to increase that number?

I wanted to settle the disscussion on the live chat's here on medhelp.
Other forums do them...it is done using one thread such as this one....everyone knows when the "chat" is going to be.....they all are on-line at the same time.
U need to refresh ur screen to see new posts just like now.The only difference is u plan when u all will be on at the same time.....

AR we will know who says what....because the format is the same as this thread.And, I doubt u would mis-lead neone, or that neone would take advice about ingesting something with out speaking to their own dr.U r well informed, and I always look to see ur opinions because I respect what u say, but also know I need to consult my dr.

It is for support and morale.....not always about answering questions. U can vote on specific topics to discuss.A dr can even be included in this type of discussion.

I am activily polling for this in the chiari forum.....it has worked in other forums like diet and weight loss.

If u r concerned if it would cause issues, ask those that have had the live chat to see how it went.

Not everyone is for this type of communication, but it happens spontaniously when several people r on at the same time involved in the same thread.

Godspeed
"selma"
So you are talking about starting a thread.
We used to do that every Friday evening. A thread about whatever we wanted to discuss.

I think that's a great idea.
It's not chat, though, regardless of what you call it.

Ar your funny, Ill vote twice then. I can catch up too you know. Or we can just make our own yahoo chat room and chat on there:????
I know, but they do it in D and WL and that is how the CL said it is done...a thread and u have to refresh the screen.

I may not be a "chat" as in other web venues, but it is what they call it here.

I liked the Friday night threads....it was in a cabin right?

"selma"
I agree with you about that.That will always be a problem, unless it's a specific question it's probably already been asked and answered at some point.Ususally by the same group of people.A chat room may or may not help with that,who knows.If we had one we could be discussing this live right now...LOL.It's a better form of communication and sets a standard medhelpneeds.Live webcast might also benifit us as well.A new doctor each week presenting thyroid patients with new options to there treatment etc.If a chat room is not proposed.
We are discussing this live, now.
It's just a little slower.

We used to have Friday Night at The Pub. It was fun. Then it got a little old. We had a few "guests" come in on Pub night, and that turned out well, too.

A true chat room is completely different and has no place here. We have two general discussion forums for people looking to talk about other things.

Pub Night- yes.
Chat Room- no.
yes...this is medhelps version of live chat!!
I agreed with Selma. A live chat also will  provide support to those that need it as well.Although the current system does work, technology continues and we should take advantage of that.And of course the chat will have it's social aspect too.That is a key factor in support.
Well, how about we have Pub Night tonight?

There will be a thread posted.

The genius behind Pub Night is this;

We meet in this quaint pub. Make fun of the decor and order wild drinks. Appoint a bartender and ridicule TheCarMan (that's my job). Non alcoholic beverages are served as well. Discuss how our day went, or what sorts of torture are permitted for our doctors. The topic can be all over the map, or if a guest is invited, we get the guest drunk and pump them for information on how to deal with stress, or anxiety, or heart stuff.

The "cyber drinking" may bother a few, but it is the glue that holds the fantasy Pub together. Fighting over the only recliner is half the fun. Along the way we get our frustrations out and people get to know each other a little better.

Saturday night is the perfect time.
Be there or...you may already have a life.

Coming tonight, LIVE (echo, echo, echo).
I dusted off utah's stupid chair and stock piled the Zinfadel ( since AR is a wine dude )

can't spell  " con - da -sewer " LOL  LOL  LOL

Hmmm
since AR is GUN HO on this pub tonight - I think he should pop the big one and get that PUB posted !!!!!!

*sniff*...I'll do ya proud, Stella.

No peanut shells on the floor people, please.

You'll know the thread when you see it.
LOL!!!!!
Book - 'em Dan-O

:)
Okay... I vote no to chat and yes to pub night!
This is a different forum than weightloss and diet....this is medical. There are too many people who try to use the internet rather than going to the doctor. Even though none of us here are doctors, this is still serious and we have to answer people responsibly. All questions pertaining to medical should be in their own posts so they can be looked after.
That is why there are moderators.
That is just my point of view.
Looking for the pub....I could use a nice cold drink and a round of darts! Oh yeah....in the pub we are all normal and not thyroid sufferers....thyroid disease doesn't exist in the cabin does it? lol   lol  
We could do our Pub again .. that would be awesome!  We kind of stopped when everybody was oh so busy between Halloween and Winter Holidays but let 'er rip again!

A chat that's live like they do in weight loss on a thread I like .. it can be more medical than social ... I've been over on the one in WLD and it's really great.

We can even invite a CL from another forum as our guest on some nights to offer advice to us thyroidians if it pertains to something we deal with.

Just my 2 cents.

I've been following the thread but NO TIME to reply between swim meets and wrestling tournaments but tomorrow I'm brining my laptop so hope to respond to more threads!!!

C~
I'll ride this sticky for a few more days to see the outcome on the poll.

Please don't vote a hundred times  it's on your honor

OK?
You do realize that creating a thyroid chat room would in reality create a seperate thyroid board.

How can you have live chat and spend ten minutes typing a proper reply? None of the chat rooms I have been in are conducive to anything more than a sentence here and a sentence there, usually in "text speak" or some type of shorthand to speed things along.

Chat room is no good for us in Australia as we are roughly 16 hours in front.
Also sometimes there can be misleading or wrong info given.
So I'm not too keen on the idea.
Soz guys.
I voted no for the chat for the same reasons everyone else has given, but the "pub" is a good idea.  Like AR said - in chat, you can't spend enough time to compose an answer/comment and there's too much room for misinformation.  

Being a real "newbie" at this thyroid thing, I really depend on the answers that some of you post in response to questions asked and I think I'd miss out on a lot of that in a chat setting.  
I'm in!! :)
I would use the chat room. I'm new here and am looking for answers..like everyone else. Plus, it's a good way to get to know the community members I think.

Pandorasbx
The women on the Ovarian Cancer Forum used to throw Cyber Parties. A snow storm started it all. I think they picked one night a week at a certain time, and had fun talking and chit chatting. It was so funny.  Everyone had a great time. It was a time to lose oneself, to stop thinking, and just have a good time getting to know one another. Live chat is good, but as someone metioned you loose alot in chats. Some don't type as fast as others and it gets to confusing. Thats why I don't like chat rooms. I can never keep up.
Hello, I have hypo and was wondering if anyone else has experienced what I did upon first taking the meds. It seems as though I just dropped weight very quickly over an 8 week period keep in mind that I was very very strict with working out 6 days a week to include 3 days of weight training. I noticed that when I stopped doing the cardio on and empty stomach other than the armour and coffee and stopped going to the gym so much I put on about 15-20lbs which is what I lost in 8 weeks before. So now I am working out again and very strict with my diet and I realize its only been a week but I am very discouraged that my jeans do not seem to be much loser at all, am I being unrealistic? My diet is not over 1300 calories a day so I am thinking surely thyroid problem or not, if I am eating very clean and working out surely I will lose the weight?
last August 08, I had a total thyroidectomy due to hasimoto disease and a large goitre. Prior to this i was on 50mg 75 then 100 mg thyroxine. After op I went from 150 feling amazing, 125 still pretty good, 100 great, and now 75mg at present and all hypo symptoms have retuned. Last blood test when taking 100mg  my resutls were TSH .035 and FT4 23.6. Can someone tell me why I might be feeling low with these reults?

Jengee
My current doctor is not knowledgeable about such matters. I have found compounding pharmacies in New South Wales, (recommended) and Victoria, but need a prescription locally, in South Australia.

Some of my weblinks: www.feelingfff.com  &
http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com & http://www.armourthyroid.com & www.realthyroidhelp.com & http://www.peertrainer.com/LoungeCommunityThread.aspx?ForumID=1&ThreadID=40858  www.realthyroidhelp.com  http://www.thyroid.org.au/ThySoc/ThySocReplce.html   http://www.thyroid.org.au/   http://www.naturalthyroidchoices.com/Bromide.html   http://iodine4health.com/   http://www.pharmaceutical.co.nz/  ~~~ THYROID

The following is new: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/01/02/Many-Symptoms-Suggest-Sluggish-Thyroid.aspx
I did not get to vote in the poll but YES it is a wonderful idea. I have often wondered why in the computer age we are playing cat and mouse like this. It would be a big hit.  Also think of the people it would help. Usually we stumble in here after searching the net and well this way it would be instant. Great Idea.
I take Levothroxine (levothyroxine) daily.  I have been doing great on it for the past year until the past month.  I am starting to have the fatigue and extreme exhaustion all over again.  Is there a reason this is happening?
This is a very old thread and your issue would get a lot more attention if you started a new post of your own, since this post is about a "chat" room vs answering specific questions....

You can go to:   http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Thyroid-Disorders/show/73?controller=forums&action=show&id=73&camp=msc  to start a new thread.  Just click on the orange "Post a Question" button at the top of the page.......  
hello