Thyroid Disorders Community
multiple brown spots on hands and face?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

multiple brown spots on hands and face?

Happy Columbus day everyone

Did anyone get multiple brown spots on tops of hands, both sides of face and running down the neck to chest area? All of a sudden WHAM?! there they were? I am also a graves patient on PTU.

Go see doc tomorrow, but curious if anyone else had them?

Thanks GW (Kim)
I got them after using an anti-inflammatory .. it can cause easily changed pigmentation but I'm not sure about your meds.  I'm sure some others will jump on in!

C~
Thanks C~
Did they go away or are they permanent?

They tend to get darker with sun exposure.   Some others about a year ago (look in community archives) refer to it as similar to "mask of pregnancy" ????

C~
I just did a community search for mask of pregnancy and WOW .. look at all the results you will get from thyroid community . the box is upper right hand corner right above Recent Activity!!!!

Sorry, i had trouble using cut and paste for the link.

C~

thanks, I certainly hope I am not pregnant. 46 years old, been there done that!!!!

thanks will type it in now.

Kim
Just went there, it seems mask of pregancy is around the upper lip? mine is not there it is the side of my face, tops of hands and running down neck? so perhaps since i was tan and started to fade from the summer, they were always there and i could not see them before? who knows. I have not used birth control for over 17 years, had a tough time getting pregnant with my only, and was never blessed again (geez i wonder why, thyroid perhaps???)

thanks for researching for me. ok off to enjoy my day off.

take care, Kim

I had brown spots on my legs. . .it always looked like my legs were slightly dirty.  I wasn't sure if it was sun damage or due to the graves. . .I'm now about 9 weeks post surgery and I think the marks are fading.  They definitely look less pronounced.

Good Luck!
thanks lilypad

hope they fade too. I was thinking they were age spots, and i was like wow i will be covered by the time i am 50!!! LOL

Kim
I get the brown spots too. I think it's the thyroid and the sun. I also get REALLY flaky skin. My spots are on the forehead and down my right cheek, they seem to fade a bit when winter comes. I also use Oil of Olay Definity. It's a correcting/protective lotion with an SPF of 15. It's a bit pricey (at least for my broken wallet) abot $23, $20 on sale at RitAid for 1.7 oz., it also has a smaller tube for free to keep in your pocketbook. It takes about a month to see results but I have noticed the spots are lighter sooner than when I just wait for winter. Hope this helps, a lady at my job who is much older (I'm 42) once told me "Getting old is not for sissies" LOL, how true!
I got them on my face, overnight, after my last dose of Humira (an injectible arthritis drug).  Needless to say that was the last time I took that drug.  The ENT and a dermotologist said that they were from hyperpigmentation and the ENT said it was caused by the Humeria and he's seen it with hormone drugs too.
thanks for the info, i will be getting something to try and diminish them. i will give the oil of olay a try, i figured it was a pigmentation due to meds and thyroid, going to doc today so will double check with her thanks all

Kim