Thyroid Disorders Community
plugged & humming in ears, dizziness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to thyroid issues, goiter, Graves disease, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, Human Growth Hormone (HGH), hyperthyroid, hypothyroid, metabolism, parathyroid, pituitary gland, thyroiditis, and thyroid Stimulating Hormone (TSH).

plugged & humming in ears, dizziness

I'm so frustrated!  I have been suffering for 5 months with humming, plugged ears, and dizziness.  Had 4 different antibiotics, 2 doses of prednisone, referral to ENT, and then had myringotomy done.  All of these with no relief!  ENT sent me to an ear specialist in another town and after going through my medical history he feels it all has to do with my thyroid!?  This all sounds weird to me, has anyone else had ear problems related to hypothyroid?  

About a month before seeing the ear specialist I had my cholesterol and TSH checked, have been doing this yearly since I had thyroiditis post partum 17 years ago.  Total cholesterol came back at 318!! My TSH was 7.5 - family Dr. started me on meds for cholesterol but wanted to wait a few months to recheck thyroid.  Since getting follow up from the ear specialist (in another town), my family Dr. started me on 25mcg of generic Synthroid, shes still doesn't think it has anything to do with my thyroid.  I'm so confused and dont know who to believe!  I will be returning to my family Dr. in 2 months for more bloodwork.  Anyone have anything similar?  This is starting to really were me out!
I also have buzzing and sometimes ringing in the ears. It is not as bad as it was back when my TSH was at 6.0 I also feel like the left ear sometimes is stopped up. I was told I have tmj which I have never had before and I am 48. This all seemed to occur when my levels for my thyroid got back off. I have read alot of people with hypothyroidism do experience the ringing , buzzing, or hissing in the ears. Best of luck to you and hope you get some relief and answers.
Low thyroid hormones can have ab effect on ears.

And more importantly - low thyroid = can high cholesterol!!!!

Your cholesterol most likely will improve some with correct thyroid levels - to bad your doc didn't tell you, or possibly is not aware of the link. Ypu might not even need cholesterol meds - time will tell.

Yes, I agree, ringing, humming, clogging of ears can all be symptoms of hypo.

With a TSH of 7.5, you most likely should be on thyroid meds regardless of your ear problems.  However, TSH is a very poor diagnostic of thyroid status.  Your doctor should be testing FT3 and FT4 as well and basing meds decisions on those, not TSH alone.

High cholesterol is also a symptom of hypo.  So, your doctor started you on meds to relieve one of the symptoms of hypo, but was refusing to treat your hypo, which is probably the cause of your high cholesterol.  A little backwards...

It sounds like you might want to shop for a doctor a little more in tune with thyroid problems.  If your current doctor has done nothing beyond TSH, then testing has been inadequate.  She apparently is also not familiar with anything but the very classic symptoms of hypothyroidism.

Until meds are stable, it's best to retest and reevaluate thyroid meds more frequently.  After initially starting meds or any dose adjustment, labs should be run again in 4-5 weeks with a follow-up appointment with your doctor to evaluate those and symptoms.

Thyroid swelling (goiter) can cause many problems in the surrounding area.  You should probably also have a thyroid ultrasound that will show physical changes in your thyroid.

In addition, although treatment is the same regardless of cause, it's best to determine the cause of your hypo.  There's a very good possibility that it's Hashimoto's thyroiditis (the most prevalent cause of hypo in the developed world).  Testing BOTH TPOab and TGab will confirm Hashi's.

There's a lot more to be done, as you can see, to evaluate your thyroid status.  Your doctor is doing very little.  She may not think your ear problem is related to your thyroid, but I, personally, think there's a very good possibility that it is (especially since all the roads you've been down haven't helped).  Find a doctor who knows more...this one is going to keep you sick.

How long have you been on the 25 mcg?  Is it helping yet?  It does take a while to kick in.  

Wow!  I really didn't expect to hear from anyone.  Your messages are very reassuring to me...... maybe I'm not going crazy after-all! :)  

I've only been taking 25mcg for one week.  I will take your advise and request additional blood work and possible referral to endocrinologist if I am not satisfied at my 2 month recheck appt.

I'm dreaming of the day I will feel much better!
Best of luck to you. I hope you can get some answers and a good doctor. It usually take around 6-8 weeks for the med to get in you system good for it to really make a difference. You arent going crazy but Believe me sometimes the symptoms we experience from it will make you think you are.
I have had constant ringing in my ears since about a week after my total thyroidectomy for thyroid cancer which was sept. 09.  It never goes away but sometimes is worse then others.  Starting last sunday the "maddening" level of ringing started.  I have already seen an ENT who didnt come up with anything and was referred to neurologist which i am in the process of having testing for.  Let me know what you find out.  Thank you and good luck.
I can tell when my thyroid is low because I get stopped up ears, also known as serous otitis media.  

You are so lucky to have figured this out.  I went to an ENT for several years who put me on steriods and antihistamine.  I figured it out myself, but only after I developed other thyroid related problems.  

I'm glad that you posted this question. I also have the ringing in the ears but didn't know that it could come from being hypo. I was just diagnosed in February of this year. I think this has been going on for a very long time and just now diagnosed.I'm also hoping to feel better soon. Do any of you know if the ringing in the ears will go away after being treated. I've been on Levothyroxine fro 6 wks now. I am just now feeling some improvement. Thanks for any info.  
I was just bumped up to 50mcg of Synthroid two weeks ago and very excited to tell all of you that my ear problems have completely gone away!  I feel like a new person.  Thanks for all your responses!
That is wonderful. I'm so glad the ear ringing has stopped for you. Hopefully mine will do the same.
25 mcg is a very small dose.  It's usually given to people with subclinical hypothyroidism.

The normal dose for someone with hypothyroidism is somewhere between 75 and 125 mcg.  

I happen to be a healthcare provider (HCP) and also someone who has the unusual symptom of having my ears get stopped up when my thyroid gets low.  I also get achy muscles around my lower legs and a myriad of other symptoms.  

I've had thousands of dollars worth of rheumatology lab work, been to an ENT, been given antidepressants,  been on cholesterol medication and developed abnormal liver function (when it was just caused by hypothyroidism), developed a goiter and had a partial thyroidectomy--just to name a few things.

Having lived the experience of having undertreated thyroid disease and also being a HCP, I have to say that most doctors do not know what they are talking about when it comes to thyroid disease.

Interesting insight about doctors and thyroid disease.  I'd be very interested in your opinion as a health care provider as to why this is so pervasive and resistant to change.  

What would it take to move the medical community to do something about the huge problem with getting proper diagnosis and treatment for thyroid problems?  I know how little value TSH is in diagnosing and treating thyroid problems, but I've been appalled at the the fact that the labs and doctors have yet to adopt the revised reference range for TSH, recommended by the AACE over 8 years ago.  And this is just the tip of the iceberg.  

oh my!  I was just switched to synthroid from levoxyl & increased to 1.00 mcg about 2 months ago. I didn't make the connection to my dizziness &  now chronic stuffed ears & ringing. & although I'm not as tired as I was, I just don't feel right. Plus, I'm having trouble sleeping. Based on what everyone has posted, I don't feel like such a hypocondriac now!
You can be a hypochondriac and still have real illnesses.   LOL

What do your thyroid test results look like compared to their reference ranges shown on the lab report?  Did you have other typical hypo symptoms shown in this link before making the med change?  How about after the change?

http://endocrine-system.emedtv.com/hypothyroidism/hypothyroidism-symptoms-and-signs.html