Trigeminal Neuralgia Community
Atypical trigeminal neuralgia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to trigeminal neuralgia.

Atypical trigeminal neuralgia

Hello there,

I am 26 years old and I had a maxillofacial surgery almost exactly 3 years ago during which metal plates and screws were drilled into my jawbones and cheek areas. I checked online and my surgeon has retired since so I have no idea how to contact him. I have never had a headache in my life. Then, out of the nowhere, for the past 10 days I have had non stop burning, agonizing headaches, numbness and burning in my face and around the back of my neck. My forehead is just pounding burning constantly. My MRI showed up clean so my doctors said this is stress related. But the pain is so excruciating and wasn't ending so after hours of searching online, I came up with atypical trigeminal neuralgia which as horrified as I am, seems to fit my symptoms? I am going to discuss this with my neurologist tomorrow because this can not be normal pain. Is it possible that the screws or metal plates are pressing or damaging the trigeminal nerve? the pain seems to be centered near my right temple to beginning of my right jaw bone under my ear, but its exploding all over my face with painful sensations like a pulsing burning scalp and  tingling sensations in my neck and arms. There has just been no relief and from what I have read of ATN, its only going to get worse. I am definitely going to look into medication but the pain is getting so bad I'm ready to have a surgical procedure like a microvascular decompression if it will help. Please any ideas at all? I'm so scared to go on like this, it just came out of no where.
Definitely discuss your symptoms with your neurologist. I suggest you create a pain journal. Write down where the pain is occurring, when it occurs, how long it occurs, what triggers the pain, what type of pain -- burning, stabbing, electric shock, etc.  all of this info will help your doctor in his diagnosis.

The Trigeminal Nerve touches all areas of your face, with little sub-branches. If you google Gray's Anatomy on Bartleby com, there are some good diagrams of the nerve and where it touches.

TN is a diagnosis of ruling everything else out. Hopefully this is something that your doctor can resolve for you.

Keep in touch and let us know how things are going for you.